RE: Question concerning Vygotsky

From: eliza@pob.huji.ac.il
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 07:21:55 PST

Dear Peter Smagorinsky,
Thank you so much for your help. This passage you quoted highlights another
issue that interests me personally - the so called 'distant teacher' who is de
facto the author of written teachings. As a person who was raised in a very
strong literacy culture (I learnt to read & write Hebrew at the age of 5,
already at the age of 3 my parents bought me books instead of toys) I have
been more receptive to influence by reading rather than by attending regular
lessons. In fact I have chosen my university courses by selecting the
lecturers (e.g. Prof. E. Olshtain on second language learning and Prof.
S. Blum-Kulka on literacy) who have published books and papers that I
have read beforehand.
Another issue concerning Vygotsky: My assumption is that Vygotsky's multi-
cultural, multi-linguistic and multi-disciplinary backgroung gave him his
unique insight into the nature of human cognition. The same holds, in my
oppinion, for Benjamin Lee Whorf.

Alisa