RE: Motives and goals: Leont'ev and Axel

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 10:37:56 PST

Dear Carol and Nate-

Minor historical correction: In my knowledge, Vygotsky arrived in Moscow
after Lenin's death in January 1924. Thus, his incredible intellectual and
institutional rise in psychology occurred after Lenin's death. Politically,
it was struggle for gaining control of Communist Party (and, thus, the
state). Stalin won this struggle by the mid of 1929 (or course, there was
not a clear date of this victory). I'm not so sure that during Lenin's life
Vygotsky, Luria, and Leont'ev were well-known. Definitely, Luria was much
more known in those years then any of the troika because he was a leading
Freudist in the Soviet Union serving the Chairman of Freud Society. If I'm
not mistaken it was Luria who started the society in Soviet time. Luria was
in correspondence with Freud. Initially, Luria made great efforts trying to
involve Vygotsky in the work of the Society. I think Vygotsky borrowed his
notion of "internalization" from Freud probably via Luria. Being Luria's
student, Mike knows more on that.

Vygotsky became criticized by Stalinists for his association with pedology
(a holistic approach to a child) in early 1930s. Also Luria and Vygotsky
were under severe political criticism for their famous Asia cross cultural
study. A bit later, his close friends and colleagues (not students as so
think!) Luria and Leont'ev decided to keep distance from Vygotsky's his
scholarship and him personally to save themselves. They published several
articles criticizing Vygotsky's cultural-historical approach for not being
Marxist enough. In this deteriorating political context, Vygotsky took this
criticism as betrayal. Vygotsky's health was deteriorating as well which was
double difficult for him, perhaps. On the other hand, I'm sure that if he
did not die because of TB in 1934 he would have probably disappeared in
Gulag. He did rather politically "reckless" moves in these years including
his relocation to Kharkov from Moscow (almost all Kharkov intelligencia
disappeared in 1937). In my view, it is difficult to judge Luria and
Leont'ev who lived in extremely difficult historic time and forced to make
moral decisions that difficult for us to understand.

After break with Vygotsky, Luria moved into neuropsychology that was much
safer area with less ideological overtone. Leont'ev developed his Activity
Theory as another Marxist approach in psychology separate from Vygotsky. For
some reason, it was tolerated by Stalinist regime (I did not read much on
that - I wish some historians of psychology wrote biographical books about
Luria and Leont'ev). Vygotsky's publications were under suppression but
since he died of natural causes, there were not order to destroy them as far
as I know. I personally read a lot of old publications by Vygotsky available
in the Ushakov pedagogical library in Moscow in 1970s.

 Eugene