FW: [UD-PIG] Cellphone literature

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 13:08:34 PST

Dear everybody-

When I visited South Africa (and Russia to a lesser extend) I found myself
Cellphone illiterate - people sent me messages (a lot of jokes but even
poetry sometimes) that I had trouble to read and I could not reply.
Cellphone literacy seems a phenomenon less known in US because people here
use email more than cellphone messages. I wish I saved messages to me from
local people in South Africa and Russia. Sometimes it took me hours to
understand the messages while local people could read them fluently. I
wonder how instant messaging is similar and different to cellphone literacy.
I think literacy researchers should focus on this interesting new
phenomenon.

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____