RE: Dean re-voicing pro wrestlers

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 12:13:28 PST

Dear Nate–

Thanks for the important distinguishing between the term "idealistic".
However, I find the boundary fuzzy in practice. For example, I compromised
and allowed to include Praxis exam in the transfer policy when "they"
included all "our" demands about meaningful criteria for admission in our
program. However, in a next step, another faculty committee took away "our"
stuff and left new exclusive procedures about Praxis exam. There was a
disconnect between our ideas and actions when we agreed on the Praxis
compromise but we thought it was a minor business – we were idealistic (in
your terms) about that, right? However, if we won, we would not have been
idealistic. It is very easy to see "idealism" looking back when you know
consequences but it is difficult to do when truth is an open process for
grasp.

No, I was not measured as "right wing authoritarian" by the Political
Compass (it was -3, -6 I believe). But it would, if it judged only
consequences (a material reality) of my actions that I described. I was
questioning your point that it is OK to measure politicians according to
their deeds and not according to their ideology expressed by them. I'm
against of objectivizing and finalizing politicians when subjectivizing and
problematizing are ignored....

What do you think?

Eugene