RE: Bakhtin: Toward a methodology for the human sciences

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 16:53:38 PST

Dear Phil-

Can you elaborate on "it's a pretty sound distillation of his thinking (in a
post-modern sense??)", please?

Thanks for sharing your thinking!

My two favorite quotes from Bakhtin's article on methodology:

1) "The exact sciences constitute a monologic form of knowledge: the
intellect contemplates a thing and expounds upon it. There is only one
subject here-cognizing (contemplating) and speaking (expounding). In
opposition to the subject there is only a voiceless thing. Any object of
knowledge (including man) can be perceived and cognized as a thing. But a
subject as such cannot be perceived and studied as a thing, for as a subject
it cannot, while remaining a subject, become voiceless, and, consequently,
cognition of it can only be dialogic. Dilthey and the problem of
understanding. Various ways of being active in cognitive activity. The
activity of the one who acknowledges a voiceless thing and the activity of
one who acknowledges another subject, that is, the dialogic activity of the
acknowledger. The dialogic activity of the acknowledged subject, and the
degrees of this activity. The thing and the personality (subject) as limits
of cognition. Degrees of thing-ness and personality-ness. The
event-potential of dialogic cognition. Meeting. Evaluation as a necessary
aspect of dialogic cognition." (p.161)

2) "The inclusion of the listener (reader, viewer) in the system
(structure) of the work. The author (bearer of the word) and the person who
understands. The author when creating his work does not intend it for a
literary scholar and does not presuppose a specific scholarly understanding;
he does not aim to create a collective of literary scholars. He does not
invite literary scholars to his banquet table."

What do you think?

Eugene

  _____