Re: Bakhtin: Toward a methodology for the human sciences

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 02:49:34 PST

Dear Eugene,
The quotation that I refer to - "The text lives only by coming into
contact with another text (with context). Only at this point does a
light flash, illuminating both the posterior and anterior, joining a
given text to a dialogue". says to me that Bakhtin's grand idea is that
the world and the knowledge constructed in the world is found in
dialogue - the meeting of texts from past, present and future times and
spaces (your fave quotes from the essay point to this, don't they?).
I'm personally not very good with "isms" and "tions", etc, but this
does seem to fit within a postmodernist view of the world of their
being no metatheories that determine truths and verifiable facts. If we
link the idea that we can only interpret the meaning of a text by
referring to previous and anticipated like texts, with the essential
nature of dialogue in understanding knowledge creation between
individuals, then we are close to a postmodernist view of the world as
situated meaning making that is not aligned with any political,
religious or other worldviews. Text and Context is everything???

The relevance for me...I have been struggling with this in terms of my
research on understanding the processes of collaborative development of
another language. Rather than trying to prove or disprove instances of
the "development of an interlanguage" based upon universal notions of
ideal grammars, ideal speakers or ideal listeners, it seems much more
useful to me to seek descriptions and explanations of the ongoing
dialogue that a group of learners construct during the process of
developing their skills of using this new tool and understandings of
the way the new tool can work with the first language in development as
well as work as a tool for participation in present and future human
activity, and whatever motives emerge in each learning activity.

This is "garage rock" in form - emerging thoughts that are being
stretched and pulled as I work out how the research and the
interventions might benefit a group of language learners and their
teacher and hopefully other learners and teachers.

To rent your own words, "What do you think?"

Phil