Re: reading critically

From: david.preiss@yale.edu
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 20:48:32 PST

The issue of translation is quite interesting. My first reading of
Vygotsky was a translation of Mike´s English version to Spanish. What I
was reading, then? Vygotsky? Mike and the other editors? The
translators? A mixture of both? If a mixture, what is its nature?

Concerning cultural biases, it is interesting how influential has been
Vygotsky in the Spanish speaking world, in comparison to "mainstream"
American psychology. Why do we Latin Americans have that
sociocultural "bias"?

Following up on the issue of translation, I would love to hear opinions
concerning the collected works recently published.