Re: reading critically

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 03:40:37 PST

I'm going to do some digging around for the resources that you mention,
Mike. The cultural implications for the context in which I'm a part of
- helping develop the abilities to use whatever strains of English
Thais need to communicate with non-Thai speakers - is very interesting,
considering the sociocultural history of approaches to education here.
I wonder what the implications of having Thai translations of
Vygotsky's works would be for educators in this part of the world, just
as David ponders over the Spanish versions in C&S America? After a
quick trip to Japan last month, I felt a little queazy about how
Vygotsky's central notions were being supplanted into more
cognitive/individualistic and less sociocultural/interactionist
approaches to language teaching and learning.

Phil