RE: Jobs and motivation: Help is needed

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 16:19:23 PST

He, he, Eugene. I am not using this word in a really profound technical
sense. What I mean is just that if you want to enquire into why people
would carry on working even though they suffer rather than enjoy, then you
are posed with enquiring into the meaning of life, whether indeed behaviour
can be rationally conceived as the maximisation of utility or happiness,
and whether people do things because they enjoy them.

A moment's reflection would be enough to demonstrate, I would have thought,
that life is not at all about pursuing enjoyment and maximising command
over objects o enjoyment. Nevertheless, this stupid conception has guide
"Western" thinking about ethics and political economy for more than 100
years. Presumably because these "researchers" never took a moment to reflect?

Andy