RE: Jobs and motivation: Help is needed

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 16:08:58 PST

Well Eugene, I was addressing myself to the original proposition which
seemed to be about enjoyment but defined this in terms of a hypothetical
choice. As I said, I think the first thing would be to clarify our
question. Also, my own anecdotal investigations of over-55 employees at the
University of Melbourne showed me that even though almost all of these
people did have a choice, they all chose to go on working, and I know of
none in this little category who had in the recent past chosen, like I
have, to retire. (Included in my "sample" were plenty of people doing
routine non-academic technical, clerical or manual work.)

So the provisional conclusion I drew was that whether people enjoyed their
work or not, and even if they did not need to earn a living, they would not
choose to leave their jobs.

So I am inclined to think that the utilitarian conception of approaching
the whole question in terms of "enjoyment" is problematic. It is much more,
I suspect, to do with existential questions of meaning.

In relation to the British study, though they put "class" on their
masthead, I did not see anything about class in the little bit of what I
saw, only the good old sociological categories of income and employment
groups. And whether British research academics are "well paid" depends
entirely the position from which you view the question. I am very sure that
if British research academics were asked "Are you well paid?", the answer
would score a reasonable percentage of "Yes". Ask a sample of British
cleaners "Are academics well paid?" then you might get a different answer.

The insistence on activity (i.e., actually choosing to work or not) as a
focus of psychological research I would have thought is fairly well
founded, but I don't see the focus on activity as opposed to
opinion-polling as prejudicing an understanding of the self-consciousness
of working class people doing grinding, routine work. I does of course
present challenges to research; but after all research which does not face
any challenges is not really research, is it?

What do you think?

Andy