Re: davydov/professional/personal

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (anamshane@speakeasy.net)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2003 - 19:16:26 PDT

Eugene, I wrote a long response to this just to have it eaten up by my
computer at work which froze. Maybe it was it's reaction to the
criticism of the elitism and intelligencia. It literally sent my
response to Siberia!! :-) -- I cannot reproduce it now.

Seriously;
I think that Davidov's thinking reflects a kind of naive evolutionism in
which there is a definite hierarchy between "lower" and "higher" forms
of organisms, forms of society and finally forms of Individual thinking.
I did not know that the Russian Empire style of this kind of thinking
originated in the "low life", riffraff, proletarian circles -- probably
also very heavily Jewish. However, the same kind of elitism and
intellectual snobism is not strange to the rest of Europe either. I also
grew up absolutely despising ignorance (not people, but their state of
ignorance) -- both of the poor blue collar workers and of the imbecile
but powerful, and therefore dangerous, politicians and rulers.
Vygotsky and Luria also had some remnants of this kind of thinking in
the discussion of their experiments with bringing schooling and literacy
to the tribes in the back lands of the Soviet Union. Mike talks about
this in his Cultural Psychology.
But I think that Vygotsky had actually rejected this kind of thinking
and started something else when he talked about the changing in the
psychological functions and their mutual interrelationships and
relationships to the social forms. It is very hard to be absolutely
critical in the domain of social and psychological investigations. First
it is hard to see the water if you live in it, and second, even when you
start understanding that it is just one of the possible environments,
you still probably tend to think of it as the best one.
What do you think?
Ana