Re: personalizing voice

From: Peter Moxhay (moxhap@portlandschools.org)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 11:19:34 PDT

Eugene (and everybody):

Very very interesting interpretation of Davydov. (I've visited School
No. 91 and
would like to hear more about your experience there some time.)

But isn't Davydov's intense interest in developing the child's
personality
(lichnost') more in line with developing a personalized voice in the
world
rather than a more stereotyped "professional" voice?

I mean, Davydov writes at length about the importance of developing the
child's ability to respond to unrepeatable, previously unencountered
circumstances in his or her life, and that this is one of the goals of
developing learning activity and theoretical thinking. To me, this
sounds
extraordinarily "useful for their lives and the lives of their
communities."

I also wonder about your statement that the end point of Davydov's math
curriculum (at least as you experienced it) was for the children to
become
members of an existing community of math practice. Do you think that
this is
a direct result of the logic of Davydov's curriculum (& its starting
point in the earliest
grades) or of the particular environment in which the curriculum was
implemented? (Russia is a country where strong communities of math
practice have been systematically encouraged, for example through the
specialized
math schools and through a generally high level of math culture among
secondary school teachers.)

I have a feeling that in other environments, e.g. the U.S., one might
start from
the same beginning point of Davydov's math curriculum (identifying the
germ
cell of math by discovering the action of measuring a quantity using a
unit)
and conceivably end up at a qualitatively new end point, e.g. through of
process of expansion a la Engestrom. That is, the curriculum could end
up
at creating some qualitatively new practice rather than being
integrated inside
an existing system of math practice.

What do you think?

Peter