RE: Anti-topes and anti-chrons

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 18:07:27 PDT

Dear Bill and everybody-

I agree with Bill except I could not understand why he think I was arguing
for "traditional notions of time". I was arguing exactly against clock time
and common time denominator. I also do not understand why "anti-space" and
"anti-time"? Just because space and time are constructed through actions,
activities, and practices? What makes them "anti-"? In what sense? Please
explain. I also do not understand "action-algebra".

However, I think cultural rely on physical clock time in many Western
cultures is a very recent historical event and worth of investigation. I
really learned a lot from reading the following book recommended to me by
Ray McDermott:
 Zerubavel, E. (1985). Hidden rhythms: Schedules and calendars in social
life. Berkeley: University of California Press.

Also I found very refreshing this old book:
Sorokin, P. A. (1943). Sociocultural causality, space, time; a study of
referential principles of sociology and social science. Durham, N.C.,: Duke
university press.

Eugene