RE:Thinking in a foreign language

From: Angel Lin (ENANGEL@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 09:27:17 PDT

Certainly very true experiences, Cheryl.

Jim Cummins wrote about the differences between CALP (cognitive academic
language proficiency--school literacy skills) and BICS (basic interpersonal
communication skills) in the bilingual education literature. Many new
immigrant children, according to Cummins, pick up BICS relatively quickly
in 2-3 years, but it takes much longer (7-8 years) to master CALP. Cummins
writes that many ESL or mainstream teachers might not be aware of the
difficulties encountered by immigrant children because their oral fluency
might have given their teachers the impression that they no longer need
help with their CALP.

Of course, we might have also heard of the famous converse example of
Joseph Conrad.

Given limited time and resources in the schooling system, selection of the
important areas to help our students to gain proficiency in will be an
important strategy; e.g., students in some societies need to fulfill
traditional exam requirements to enter the university and so teachers drill
them in mechanical language exercises to gain high scores in those exams
(e.g., in Mainland China). In other societies, we may find other kinds of
symbolic capital required in the society's gate-keeping, social selection
mechanisms. That's why pedagogies must be culturally sensitive and yet
without falling into the trap of cultural relativism (i.e., they can and
need to be changed). Stereotyping different cultures' learning styles is
one trap, and constructing universal pedagogies is another trap. I would
argue for developing LOCAL, CRITICAL pedagogies. I co-authored a recent
article speaking to that (Lin, Angel & Luk, Jasmine: "Beyond progressive
liberalism and cultural relativism--Towards sociohistorically situated,
critical postmodernist perspectives in classroom studies", Canadian Modern
Language Review, December 2002).

Best,
Angel