RE: Thinking in a foreign language

From: Angel Lin (enangel@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 22:33:07 PDT

Hi Ana,

The papers you reported are very interesting. I've also been working with
colleagues from China, Iran and Japan on using personal history narratives to
understand identities, sociocultural positioning, and foreign language
learning (see a recent paper by Lin, A., Wang, W, Akamatsu, N., & Riazi, M.,
in the 2002 December issue of JLIE (Journal of Language, Identity and
Education)). I'd very much like to hear more about the AERA papers you
mentioned when you're back from the conference. And hope you have a very good
conference!

Angel

>===== Original Message From Ana Marjanovic-Shane <anamshane@speakeasy.net>
=====
>Hi form Chicago's AERA Conference.
>
>Thanks Steve, The examples were really great. Here at the AERA we had a lot
>of data presented with more fantastic examples. There are wonderful
>presentations on: Creating Identities in a foreign Language/Culture,
>Identity "positioning" in an Urban High school, Personal histories and
>Official historical narratives, to mention just a few. And that just in one
>afternoon. I am sure that by the end of the conference, there will be so
>much to tell...
>
>More will follow. For now, I am going to sleep and prepare for tomorrow.
>
>Ana

Angel Lin, Ph.D.(Toronto)
Associate Professor
Department of English and Communication