Re: chatting

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel (ellampert@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 07:32:48 PDT

Hi Mike at al -
Thanks for your comments. And yes, the idea of the workshop is wonderful. I hope it will be a learning activity for all. I think Judy is in the process of putting together the proposal for AERA. As Michael Fullan said, think big start small. I hope there will be some continuity and diversity in the workshops and courses offered .
Translations of the recent developments in various countries is an important requirement for the continuious dialogue. It is a pity, that Boris Elkonin hasn't submitted his work. It will be good to translate his recent work "Psychology of Culture". Some of the ideas for this book were formulated during the course of his lectures for teachers at Eureka Free University. I will try to contact him and report on the results. I have recently found some interesting articles of Vladimir Repkin, who was the head of Kharkov laboratory and is one of the most important theoretitians of learning activity theory. His work is extremely important for all who are interested in changing teaching practices, curriculum, and designing educational practices based on CHAT. And...and... But the question as always is in resources to support such translation work. Are there any possibilities out there?
In terms of credit for an international course - a wild suggestion...:-) In International Baccalaureate organization there is a practice of recognizing accepting the credits of the institutions within the association. Maybe we should seek an agreement among the institutions offering the course ? Just dreaming.
Elina
 Mike Cole wrote:
Hi Elina et al-

I have read several messages without time to assimilate fully, but
I want to take a few minutes before diving into today's work to make a couple
of comments, i hope relevant.

1. Its great there will be an initial tutorial workshop around AERA and
hopefully it will grow in future years. One would be possible at SRCD if there
is critical mass (Soc. for Research in Child Dev). I regret I will not be
at AERA.

2. Concerning a course. I think there is significant interest and significant
uncertainty. The uncertainties regard content and credit.
concerning credit: My guess is that totally distributed forms of credit,
including a brass ring for Nate ( :-) ), local course credit, credit
through local or ucsd extension, etc. will all be explored and exploited.

concerning content. I think Elina is in a great position to see different
traditions at work, but so are Spanish speaking colleagues, Nordic
colleagues, etc. Thanks to the hard work of people like Jim Wertsch and
Pentti Hakarainnen, a variety of new texts are becoming available in
English (e.g., Zinchenko on Shpet, Lektorsky and others. Unfortunately,
despite repeated invitations, Boris Danielovitch Elkonin has not found
time to forward texts for translation. But that does not mean that such

texts cannot be obtained and translated.

Congratulations to Jay for escaping New York and Administration!
mike

"To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail."
              M.Postman Conscientious Objections,1988, p.33
Elina Lampert-Shepel
Chairperson, General Education Department
Globe Institute of Technology, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10007
212 349 4330 ext. 114 (w)