using xmca

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 11:50:45 PDT

Jim--

I am not going to AERA this year, but your idea about using that venue
seems quite appropriate.

All the comments you made re the Chaiklin-Seeger workshop resonate
strongly with me. Except.....

1. I was REALLY impressed with the number of substantive projects with
results to show for them at ISCRAT this time compared to previous
meetings of the two societies I have attended (not everyone shared this
impression with me...clearly, uneveness is the rle).

2. I believe there are more effective ways to use xmca for more generations
(along several time dimensions) but it requires wills as well as ways.

I keep thinking we ought to be able to create real courses where people
get credit at their own isntituitons, but the teaching/learning occurs
on combinations of interactive video, streaming video plus web pages, etc.
That is a project I would be happy to get actively involved in.

The thing is, I feel like a beginner and get treated as an older knower.
To be sure, there some small patches of the landscape where I am an
old timer, but so many more where I am just beginning to learn things
I KNOW to be essential, which others know more about than I do. The
constant imputation of expertise (an expert being defined by my son,
cleverly, as a drip under pressure-- ex-spurt for non-native speakers)
is a real barrier to growth for us all.

Concretely, I am pretty well convinced, as I said at ISCAR, that CHAT
is NOT a way of doing psychology. That is but one of its uses. It is
also a way of doing (to take an example relevant to my current foci)
of doing organizational change. (Examples could be multiplied). So
what form of collective, distributed, activity would help all who
participate to find multiple sub-collectivies that would help them
deal with the practical as well as theoretical challenges they face?

Lois's comment about how relation of inschool and afterschool depends upon
the institutional positioning of the precise institutions doing the
in/out bridging is a fine case in point here.

So, Jim. How, concretely, might wem, collectively, be of help to you.

And Helena, how is your project going and is there a way to be of help
there, or would we just get in yor way?
mike