RE: generations (belated musings on ISCRAT)

From: Judy Diamondstone (judith.diamondstone@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 11:24:48 PDT

Jim, can you expand a bit your ideas below re: mentoring:

 I noticed that AERA Division C has a PhD
> student seminar
> before the conference to provide students with mentoring opportunities. I
> will send in a proposal and hope that some of the CHSIGers will
> be there as
> mentors. There are also mentoring roundtables possible via Div C. Maybe
> some informal get together before/after the CHSIG business meeting (I know
> how hard it is to coordinate conference schedules)?

Are you sending a proposal to Division C for a session that you are hoping
CH-SIGers will attend, or did I miss the ball entirely? Are you proposing,
perhaps, that the CH-SIG Officers set up a roundtable for graduate students
& oldtimers? (actualy sounds like a great idea!) I think it's possible to
arrange "fireside chats" as informal get-togethers....

> Concerning the XMCA listserve- I think that there is great potential
> although the main use of it serves those who are more central to CHAT
> research. Of course, I realize that any XMCA member could use it but it
> seems to be a core of (dare I say) 'experts' that use it. I wonder what
> other activities could possibly bring in some of the more peripheral group
> members? Discussing an important article might be one possibility.

Well this topic is as old (older) than xmca... SIGH.

Judy