Re: Language, CHAT and ISCAR

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 01:53:42 PDT

> Once again Mike alludes to my posting on the terminology of CHAT.
>
> 1. I suggest that the time has come to attempt a source glossary for CHAT.
> envisage that, rather than a 'dictionary' what is needed is mini-papers on
> about 30 or 40 core terms - such as 'object', 'culture', and so on.
> Identifying the need for developing new terms - because of multiple and
> confusing uses of existing terms - would be part of the project.

Phillip,

I see what you're getting at and can see some value in the discussion stage,
but have a feeling that this will turn out to be something of a utopian
project like Esperanto. It may enable us to avoid some misunderstandings /
disputes, but create others. Who will police the use of this terminology?

I think it's clear to me from participation in XMCA that, though we see
ourselves as a community, that there are different views on what CHAT
actually means. I don't think there's a terminological resolution to that,
nor is it necessarily a bad thing - I see it as inevitable, whether one sees
it as good or bad.

Bruce Robinson

PS: Is NZ on the edge of the world? I hadn't noticed your emails took longer
to get here :).