Language, CHAT and ISCAR

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 18:47:41 PDT

Once again Mike alludes to my posting on the terminology of CHAT.

1. I suggest that the time has come to attempt a source glossary for CHAT. I
envisage that, rather than a 'dictionary' what is needed is mini-papers on
about 30 or 40 core terms - such as 'object', 'culture', and so on.
Identifying the need for developing new terms - because of multiple and
confusing uses of existing terms - would be part of the project.

2. I further suggest that such a project be carried out as a collective
activity using xmca.

3. I suggest that the object of the activity be the presentation of a
preliminary paper at Sevillia 2005, with the product eventually being a
book.

4. The foregoing would suggest that xmca have a 'term of the month'
discussion for the next 30 months, with the results being progressively
synthesised for the Sevillia paper. This would follow an initial discussion
on what terms should be in the 30.

5. I am aware that this bears the risk of linguistic imperialism by the
English language. I suggest that there needs to be a parallel translation
process for selected key languages at least.

6. If there is support for the foregoing suggestions, I am volunteering to
provide a coordinating function for such a project, but only if there is
enough energy to produce a number of active participants willing to do tasks
as well as contribute to discourse.

7. I realise that it may be more appropriate for the coordinating function
to lie in one of centres of thought, rather than here on the edge of the
world. If people think that it ought to be done, but that New Zealand is not
the place to centre it, I will not feel offended! In fact, I would feel
relieved. But I DO want it done.

Phillip Capper,
Centre for Research on Work, Education and Business Ltd. (WEB Research),
Level 13
114 The Terrace
(PO Box 2855)
WELLINGTON