RE: continuing discussion

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 18:21:29 PDT

Thanks Mike

You wrote

" I assume by culture you mean the attribution of pilot reactions to
something
of the sort "Russians are told to follow human orders over belief in
equipment"
or some such generalization of the sort bandied about.

But where is culture, in this sense, in Yrjo's expanded triangle? And
aren't tools and rules constituents of culture? Might whata you are talking
about be usefully worked upon by examinging the category of rules and its
heteroglosic uses? (As in norms, values, .......)? This is not a known
answer question, but a concrete case, I hope, of the issues you raised a
few days ago."

My answer to your first question is - everywhere.

My answer to your second question is -- yes.

But how are we to think about the rules and tools in cases like this? First
there are a set of international procedures that have evolved over time. But
in reality they are not a truly negotiated set of procedures - they are
dominated by the cultural and historical contexts of the major airliner
manufacturing countries - the United States and France. For some countries
they are simply an external imposition. These rules (and the implication of
what tools they apply to) are then translated into many languages. What
cultural lenses are the understandings passed through in the translation?
and then they are implemented - once again passing through a set of complex
lenses with the remediation that thereby occurs.

At the end of those filterings we do have local predispositions. It may not
be true to say "Russians are told to follow human orders over belief in
equipment", but it may be possible to say that "in some contexts there is a
predisposition to follow human orders over belief in equipment, and this
predisposition is more frequently found in some national settings than
others, one of which is Russia." And we might seek to understand the
dynamics of such a circumstance through a CHAT analysis

Phillip Capper,
Centre for Research on Work, Education and Business Ltd. (WEB Research),
Level 13
114 The Terrace
(PO Box 2855)
WELLINGTON