[GiveandTake] forming a group...

From: Ricardo Japiassu (rjapias@uol.com.br)
Date: Thu Jul 11 2002 - 17:14:58 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Schwartz
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: [GiveandTake] Forming a group in Durham, NC

Neal,
I applaud your mission. "Making the invisible visible" is a powerful statement. It is the essence of creativity.

Viola wrote a poem based on a question asked by one of her children. I'll reprint it here.

An Answer to a Question Asked
 Long Ago

"Where was I when you were a little girl?" My four-year-old asked.

"Where were you? Where were you? Where were you when I was a little girl?.. You weren't born. " "What does it mean to be born?" My little son asked. "What does it mean to be born?" "It means... it means ... it means..

It means you became -VISIBLE. That's what it means to be born. "

To be visible ... Visible ... visible.

It means you become

VISIBLE!

                     -Viola Spolin

Please document your progress. It might be important for other groups wanting to perform Spolin Games.

I've been working for 5 months with a group of players wanting to explore Spolin Theater Games and there have been trials and tribs.
My advice is to invite everybody. Play with them all. The first thing that happens is the ones the work does not speak to will drop off. Then you are left with two other types of people. Three, maybe. Viola calls one group the "Misty-Moisty's". They are in there for the ego of being "seekers". You know the type. I find them too self involved in the name of 'being in the space'.

Then there are the "blocked-but-game" folks. This is a hard one for me. Their spirit tells me to let them play, but there are the pragmatic elements of creating a group of players who can "lift off" and create exciting theater. Their gifts most likely lie in other areas, but not Theater. What do you do with these people? They are wonderful people, but have limited gifts reletive to your vision. AND you never know when they might have a breakthrough. I feel terrible asking them to leave. (and sometimes don't) They add to the group spirit and become a part of the community. I am always asking myself, what's the right thing to do regarding these players.

 You'll also find really wonderful "players". Those people who let the focus guide them and take them into new areas. This is always so wonderful and hugely satisfying for you, the director/sidecoach. Hopefully you'll cultivate enough of these people to create a great troupe.
Let me and this list know how it goes.

by the way: The Spolin Players NorthWest are doing their first set of Games in public this coming Sunday in Seattle. Wish me luck.

Group-forming dynamics might be an excellent thread. Directors and Sidecoaches should put thier two cents in. It could be illuminating.

Good luck, Neal.
Regards,

Gary Schwartz
Intuitive Learning Systems/The Spolin Center
Dedicated to promoting and exploring the work of improvisational pioneer, Viola Spolin, author of "Improvisation for the Theater" and creator of theater games.
"Acting requires presence. Playing produces this state." - Viola Spolin.
www.spolin.com