Re: Empirical implications of a focus on emergence

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 14:35:35 PDT

R. Keith Sawyer writes:
>These studies are deeply empirical, in
>a conversation-analytic/discourse-analytic tradition. My analyses of
>improv theater dialogues, in particular, demonstrate how an emergentist
>approach can be applied to studies of discourse processes in group
>collaboration.

        i find this very interesting because i've just completed the writing of
an autoethnography (looking at my decisions as a classroom teacher of 3rd
grade ESL students (spanish being their first language) - and described
the discourse of my students when they initiated personal narratives as
emergent - it occured stochastically - was certainly relational and
contingent - and using engestrom's systems activity triangle it seemed to
me to be the emergent object/goal of the students as they participated in
a group reading activity in which, of course, i had a different goal. and
rather like you jazz players, for me to interact with the students
demanded improvisation on my part as an instructor.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white