Re: levels of what?

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 22:41:46 PDT

Alright, i admit i was initially horrified by the mention of Fodor, but I
was also
practicing my kinder gentler Diane, and so waited to see what the point
was...

but alright. so we ARE talking about the same Fodor
and i MUST say

 "post-structuralism"

if only to suggest that while simple
(heterosexual white male aieeeeee)
 "models"
make sense, they don't actually explain complexity or difference or
anything outside a predictable white boy universe.

and as redundant as that might seem, or as obvious as it might be...
YIKES!!!!!

Fodor?

please.
if we're going to launch into academic aristrocrats, let's do HARAWAY or
BULTER
before we slip backwards to Fodor, eh?

yikes,
diane

mike the dude writes:
>Keith--
>
>What are all the figures from Rogoff about that are shadded to show
>different
>foci-- individual, group, entire setting with all its particiipants? How
>can
>one draw such pictures and make such distinctions and then say they are
>not
>distinctions.
>
>Lenses?
>
>In general, the conflation of rogoff, lave&wenger, wertsch, engestrom,
>cole,
>etc ad nauseum needs attention.
>
>Sorry I can't really get into this. I am teaching an extra class so our
>seniors can graduate, teaching via DL at a Community College, and teaching
>for a colleague who is away for a while. Taking time to breathe is an
>exertion and this sort of discussion needs to be slow, grounded in texts
>that are shared, and in knowledge of the trajectory of people's thinking.
>
>Short of that, we invite confusion and we have plenty of that! (To which
>I am adding probably)
>mike

"As he half dozed the thought struck him of what it might be like to
record the reality of things,
 matched with the thoughts and impressions it brought forth.
 To find the edge on which the interior met the exterior space...
 If he could keep some sense of how things really were,
 he might retain a little of it over time.
The past was always disguising itself, disappearing into the needs
 of the moment. Whatever happened got replaced by the
 official story or competing fictions."
Robert Stone

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, pointe claire, qc, H9R 3Z2