ease up, Eric

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 09:30:08 PDT

Eric-- In response to a query from somone who ventured into this discussion
with the comment that

Being uninitiated in the conversations and conventions of academic
> discourse, many students enter courses of study not knowing what actually
> transpires when one writes or thinks in the culture of the academic

You unloaded the following:
Forgive me for being naive but why do you assume people even need to enter
into a classroom? M- Does learning only need to take place in a classroom?
M- let's get outside of this ridiculous paradigm that instruction is some
golden nugget only classroom teachers own. M- Pure math exists in nature and
was discovered by those who were willing to discover it. M- Pure math exists
for those who can make a plan, follow it and then sythnesize the outcome.
M- Whether this takes the form of academic discourse or Eubonics it is time
those in the field of academics stop assuming everyone needs to join their
special club in order to discuss their PURE subjects.

First of all, you are not naive with respect to this discussion
Second of all, there is no mention of classroom in the fragment you quote
Third you make categorical statements such as as "pure math exists in nature"
as if it were an accepted fact, when many would claim quite the oppoite
Fourth, you dump on"those in the field of academics" who presumably make
assumptions about their "pure subjects" which strikes me as simply off the
wall in an xmca discussion and completely unwarranted by the query.

Ease up and put aside your search for the mythical xmca purests. There aren't
enough to make the hunt worthwhile and such a greeting for someone who
ventures into the discussion for the first time is hard to interpret as other
than your own form of coercion.
mike