metaphors of half bakedness

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 19 2001 - 09:48:01 PDT

Hi Alena-- For sure a LOT has been backed up by people in this discussion
which turns up in their later work. Sometimes it is explicitly acknowledged,
sometimes not. I don't think in cases where people don't attribute they
are consciously being exclusionary, but rather, the ebb and flow of
discussion simply melds into their ways of thinking.

I can only speak for myself here, but our discussions of tool use were
very important in helping me refine my ideas about artifacts. I am still
struggling as do so many English speakers with the concept of an object,
but I have gotten a lot more sophisticated about varieties of non-dualistic
thinking than earlier.

An interesting "tracer" might be the use of the metaphor of the blind man
and the stick which appeared here many years ago from readers of Bateson.
Bateson was not the only one who used it, there were precursors, but its
subsequent appropriation has been interesting.

Perhaps others have other examples and care to comment, perhaps not.
mike