saying more

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 08:33:05 PDT

Hi Bruce-- I am playing hookey from other obligations to get a little quiet
time and to catch up on mail. So I am behind the curve of the xmca discussions
and am responding to your note after having responded to prior, relevant,
notes.

An interesting quote from Vygotsky about the need for interdisciplinarity which
I was unknowingly repeating, in part, in my response to Eric re general
PSYCHOLOGY. How does CHAT measure up? As a just-beginning-to-be developed
effort at something that puts the humpty dumpty of 20th Century positivist
science back together again-- or more properly, seeks a way to keep the egg
from climbing the wall in the first place. I do not believe I have made a whole
lot of progress since writing *Cultural Psychology* where I sketch out in the
middle chapters some of the work to be done. I, personally, am working at
several of those tasks, some of which push "upward" toward relations between
activities and their institutional settings over time, some of which work
on the linkages between activities and individuals-in-activity-over time,
and some of which seek to understand linkages to our evolutionary past.

I don't believe I have the talent to get all that done in whatever time is
allotted to me, which is why I advocate distributed collaborations among people
who focus on various subsets of the overall problematic..... itself, as we
all have witnessed, a form of action with its own costs and problems.
mike