Re: tragedy in New York

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 13:18:15 PDT

I don't think its difficult to understand why the people who carried out
these acts of destruction, and many to come, did what they did.

It never ceases to amaze me how convinced we are that God is on our side,
so we are not only justified, but morally required, to act in such ways.

I shudder to think of the sequalia, with the bloodbath in the middle east
as a ready-to-hand model.

One of the few clear generalizations from the developmental literature
on the use of physical punishment with children is that it creates more
violent children...... just to bring the conversation down to a level
where I have some professional competence.

Meantime, I am waiting to hear from friends in New York whose children
just may have been working downtown today.

mike