Re: tragedy in New York

From: Angel Lin (ENANGEL@cityu.edu.hk)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 22:42:09 PDT

Dear Everybody,

I really felt shocked and sad for what happened--saw it just minutes after
the event on Hong Kong TV--couldn't believe it at first, and immediately
hoped that members in the xmca community are well and alive.

Eugene is right--it's an extremely violent way of communication, if it can
be seen as communication at all, by those who somehow felt/thought that
they had exhausted all other peaceful ways of communication. Mike, I have
to point out the danger of your metaphor, though--perhaps it's precisely
the (irrational, unjustified?) feeling of being positioned as "children"
(in relation to US) that has motivated such an inhuman way of communication
to make a statement about their position in the world?

In mourning...
Angel

At 01:18 PM 9/11/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I don't think its difficult to understand why the people who carried out
>these acts of destruction, and many to come, did what they did.
>
>It never ceases to amaze me how convinced we are that God is on our side,
>so we are not only justified, but morally required, to act in such ways.
>
>I shudder to think of the sequalia, with the bloodbath in the middle east
>as a ready-to-hand model.
>
>One of the few clear generalizations from the developmental literature
>on the use of physical punishment with children is that it creates more
>violent children...... just to bring the conversation down to a level
>where I have some professional competence.
>
>Meantime, I am waiting to hear from friends in New York whose children
>just may have been working downtown today.
>
>mike

Angel Lin, Ph.D.(Ontario Institute for Studies in Education,
University of Toronto)
Assistant Professor, Department of English and Communication
City University of Hong Kong
Tat Chee Ave., Kowloon, Hong Kong
Fax: (852) 2788-8894; phone: (852) 2788-8122
E-mail: enangel@cityu.edu.hk
http://www.cityu.edu.hk/en/staff/angel/angel.html
http://www.tesl-hk.org.hk