Re: concrete cages

From: Kathryn Alexander (Kathryn_Alexander@sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 10:56:20 PDT

Phil,

thanks for the uptake on my message, and for the further analysis.

I don't understand how to analyze (yet) from a CHAT perspective the dramas
and activities of the skater-park - and perhaps my personal local
interpretation was a gloss on the actual event. .. my local story
laminated onto Bill's story.

but then we do story the world don't we?

but you really have pulled out the thread that was the most crucial when I
was responding and musing about the situation.

Phil scrobe;
 which is
>how to deal gracefully when confronted with demands of perogative and
>privilege... demands both implicit and explicit and at times accompanied
>with threats.
>
> while within our experience it is often angry young males who are
>voicing
>demands, situating this activity in a CHAT perspective reveals that these
>men are practicing overtly an activity deeply structured within all
>activities of our society - this practice has even been noted here at
>xmca - and is practiced not just by men, but like any form of abuse, is
>practiced as a way of exercising power by nearly every participant of our
>society, depending on each participant's immediate cultural resourses. it
>is like abuse - yes, as a statistical average, more men abuse women than
>otherwise. and yet not only do some women abuse men, but some women abuse
>children - and some children abuse (bully) other children - and much of
>that abuse is ignored. it's complex.

I am heading into my PhD defence on Friday - trying to make sense of how
"voices" subjectivities, genres and socially constitutive texts shape us --
over time, through social histories, out of the discursive and situated
contexts of our textually mediated practices

how much more difficult it is to put a finger on the blur of daily
engagement - all buzzz and whir as it is, except with the embodied smack of
bodies and the social resounding in our ears

and as you so eloquently put it:

 i do think too
>that we haven't yet figured out a way to understand how do deal with these
>on-going socially embedded demands that are such a major component of our
>daily practices.

best

Kathryn

"We live with strangers. those we love most, with whom we share a shelter,
a table, a bed, remain mysterious. Wherever lives overlap and flow
together, there are depths of unknowing." Mary Catherine Bateson, 2000,
from Full Circles, Overlapping Lives.

Kathryn Alexander,
Faculty of Education,
Simon Fraser University,
Burnaby, B.C. V5A 1S6 Canada

Messages for SFU: (604) 291 - 3395 /SFU FAX (604) 291 - 3203

Personal: email: kalexand@sfu.ca