RE: RE: active learning/teaching at the 7000 level

From: Phillip Capper (phillip.capper@webresearch.co.nz)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:38:03 PDT

 Why would NOT motivation be a central explanatory category for CHAT. It
seems so central such as saying the ZPD is a category more fit to
behaviorism. Guess it just took me by surprise. So, Phillip, when you say
you'd never assume students can be motivated are you saying that we
(teachers, parents, who ever) do not or can not organize the environment in
such a way to motivate students.

No Nate. I believe that you can do so. What I was trying to say was that the
tools and rules, even the culture, BY THEMSELVES do not achieve this. The
deployment of all these has to be towards a collective object (passionate,
collaborative learning). This may be something which the students themselves
bring to the system, but it is also something which the teacher may bring -
or destroy. The social rules of the classroom bestow on the teacher a
greater capacity to influence. One of the ways of destroying it is to
organise the environment in a contradictory way. Conversely one way of
building and intensifying it is to organize the environment in a congruent
way.

But the teacher as a transformational tool for the students is the critical
factor, not the organisation of the classroom. The greatest positive
influence on my intellectual life was a teacher with terrifyingly rigid and
authoritarian practices who also had an absolute and consuming passion for
his subject (history). So powerful was this contradiction that, as I type, I
am 17 again, simultaneously frightened and inspired. Dealing with that
contradiction in itself was a transformational exercise in expansive
learning for all of us in the class. I will not here bore you with the
extraordinary life paths of so many thst he taught, and how many of them.
like me, attribute so much to what at the time seemed to be a fundamentally
traumatic experience.

One thing, though. A good part of his achievement was that he knew exactly
who he would strengthen by pushing, and who he would destroy. He also knew
precisely what sort of push would be most effective with each individual. He
also produced - and knew he was producing - a community of practice which
operated outside the classroom as we collaborated for survival. But inside
the classroom we sat in rows, sat weekly rapid fire tests, were lectured at
and harangued, and waited in fear for the awful moment when he would choose
us to stand up and formally deliver our considered opinion to the class.

Phillip Capper
WEB Research
PO Box 2855
(Level 9, 142 Featherston Street)