Re: RE: active learning/teaching at the 7000 level

From: Bruce Robinson (bruce.rob@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 04:11:25 PDT

> But the teacher as a transformational tool for the students is the
critical
> factor, not the organisation of the classroom. The greatest positive
> influence on my intellectual life was a teacher with terrifyingly rigid
and
> authoritarian practices who also had an absolute and consuming passion for
> his subject (history). So powerful was this contradiction that, as I type,
> am 17 again, simultaneously frightened and inspired. Dealing with that
> contradiction in itself was a transformational exercise in expansive
> learning for all of us in the class. I will not here bore you with the
> extraordinary life paths of so many thst he taught, and how many of them.
> like me, attribute so much to what at the time seemed to be a
fundamentally
> traumatic experience.
> One thing, though. A good part of his achievement was that he knew exactly
> who he would strengthen by pushing, and who he would destroy. He also
knew
> precisely what sort of push would be most effective with each individual.
He
> also produced - and knew he was producing - a community of practice which
> operated outside the classroom as we collaborated for survival. But inside
> the classroom we sat in rows, sat weekly rapid fire tests, were lectured
at
> and harangued, and waited in fear for the awful moment when he would
choose
> us to stand up and formally deliver our considered opinion to the class.
>
> Phillip Capper
> WEB Research
> PO Box 2855
> (Level 9, 142 Featherston Street)
> Wellington
> New Zealand

By a strange coincidence, I had a similar history teacher, who was also a
major inspiration to me in taking up and studying history. His pedagogical
techniques were as folllows: come into the classroom, sit down at a table
with nothing on it, either read out loud ( in a soft voice) from his own
notebooks or a newspaper or just start talking and continue until the end of
the lesson. No direct participation from the students. Total silence
expected but he didn't mind if you fell asleep as long as you didn't snore!
The participation came through his reading out and passing comment on
students' essays, which served both to show that history was interpretation
as well as fact and to make us think that our own opinions were of value if
well argued. He was very eccentric, but if you were at all interested you
could get a lot out of listening to him. (If you weren't you had to make do
with reproducing the textbook.) Similarly a major influence on many of his
students.

My other history teacher also influenced me a lot. His style was very
different. Lots of debate and dialogue, but again the opinions of 15/16/17
year olds taken seriously.

Bruce Robinson