Cultural Historical SIG 2002 theme

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 16:19:28 PDT

Dear current and future ch-sigers--

Thanks a lot for participation in proposing, voting on, and discussing the
SIG 2002 theme for AERA conference in New Orleans. As you may know from the
voting results posted on the SIG website
http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/CH-SIG/Theme%20for%20sig%20meeting,%20results.a
sp, Judith Green's theme proposal won 'popularity contest' among people who
chose to vote (50 sig members [out of total registered 174 sig members] and
4 non-sigers).

Total number of the made votes: 54

28 What Counts as Learning? Exploring the Contributions of Sociocultural
and Sociohistorical Perspectives by Judith Green
13 Globalization of Cultural-Historical Theorizing by Mike Cole
7 Boundaries of Cultural Historical Theory & Research by Pedro R. Portes
6 Role of Play in Mediating Culture by Ana Marjanovic-Shane
0 No theme this year
See detailed description of the theme proposals on the sig web at
http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/CH-SIG/Theme%20for%20sig%20meeting,%20results.a
sp

What practical consequences for acceptance of proposals sent to the SIG may
it have?

Here is my proposal for your consideration.

We will instruct the reviewers to make two types of judgments about each
proposal:
1) Is the proposal acceptable in terms for broadly defined SIG foci,
academic quality, and appeal for the SIG members to attend the presentation?
2) Which of the themes listed above and to what degree the proposal fit?

The first question will help to develop acceptable pool of the proposals. In
a hopeful for us (i.e., the sig officers and potential sig audience but
maybe not for the authors :-( case,-- we will many more acceptable proposals
than slots. Thus, the second question will help us to prioritize proposals
for the final acceptance. The highest priority will have proposals that
highly fit the first theme, the second priority will have proposals that fit
the second theme, the third priority will have proposal fitting the forth
theme, and so on. The proposal that do not fit well any listed above theme
will have lowest priority (but still have chance if the have many slots).

What do you think?

Here is a few words about slot magic. Officially, based on the last year
number of SIG members registered by AERA, we have 7 slots for round tables,
2 slots for symposiums, and 1 slot for the sig yearly business meeting.
However, there is also possibilities for "black magic" and getting more
slots by co-sponsoring sessions and by negotiation with other sections and
sigs... For example, as you may remember last year we had 10 slots for round
tables.

Let me know, please, if you have questions or ideas about that.

Have a nice weekend,

Eugene

----------------
Eugene Matusov, Ph.D.