RE: What to do?

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 10:19:24 PDT

Dear Mike and everybody--

Mike has a very good question asking for clarification of yearly SIG theme.
This is the first time we do that but many other SIGs do it all the time.

> Dear Eugene--
>
> I do not understand the implications of your message as a result of
> the voting.
> I would assume that Judith would organize a symposium or two on the
> topic
> of what counts as learning.

SIG theme usually defines guidelines for the SIG reviewers -- it does not
define any symposium slots. It also provide authors with the guidelines
about SIG priorities for the this year.

Anyone can apply for a symposium including Judith. The theme of "What Counts
as Learning?" will have higher priority than other themes if we have too
many proposals for fewer slots and we will be forced to choose. So feel free
to send any proposal that you think will fit the CH SIG. Not fitting the
theme does not automatically that your proposal will be rejected. For
example, last year we had 3 symposium proposals each of them was high
quality as judged by the SIG reviewers so we accepted all three of them
giving the business meeting slot to one of them.

Please submit proposals if you think SIG members will be interested in them.

>Or do you mean people should simply send any
> paper
> topic they want and the program committee will place it where it
> belongs?

The first part of the question is yes -- you can send a proposal for
whatever topic. The committee will place according to the listed themes to
prioritize them ONLY if we have too many acceptable proposals. Ideally we
would like to accept all proposals that reviewers judge as having high
quality and potentially attractive for the CH SIG crowd. However, in past we
got more acceptable proposals than total amount of slots we managed to get.
Having prioritized themes will help us to reduce arbitrariness of our
decision making in selecting proposals, since we know what theme people who
voted prefer more. Majority of people who voted said: We want to have
presentation on "What counts as learning." Next theme in popularity was
"Globalization" then "Boundaries" and then "Play". Last year when we had
many-many high quality of proposals for too few slots, King and I made
decision based on our interests (we had to have selection somehow...). We do
not think that it is fair to keep doing that. That is why we asked all SIG
body to prioritize OUR (not just King and my) interests for this year.

Does it make sense?

What do you think?

> Or?
>
> Time is now short, so some very direct guidance of how to behave
> would help
> me a lot and I am guessing I am not alone. Does this count as learning?

Absolutely! :-)

Please feel free to ask more questions or make suggestions.

Have a nice weekend,

Eugene
> :-)
> mike