7000 classes?

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 08:34:48 PDT

Barb-- You wrote:

 I am trying to organize my thinking
around communities of practice for a class I am teaching which uses very
sophisticated computer support. Much of the literature I read talks about
"talking head" teachers in the classroom, didactic lecture etc. and it
seems that a lot of research involves looking at Middle schoolers rather
than looking at the 7000 classes where I find myself, (wishing I were
involved in authentic, active learning). So I wondered if there was any
lit about how to construct a ZPD enabling classroom environment,
multivocal, novices and experts (teachers) exchanging roles??...

Since things aren
t too active on xmca at the moment, and others may share your concerns,
why not say more here. You wrote:

 I am trying to organize my thinking
around communities of practice for a class I am teaching which uses very
sophisticated computer support. Much of the literature I read talks about
"talking head" teachers in the classroom, didactic lecture etc. and it
seems that a lot of research involves looking at Middle schoolers rather
than looking at the 7000 classes where I find myself, (wishing I were
involved in authentic, active learning). So I wondered if there was any
lit about how to construct a ZPD enabling classroom environment,
multivocal, novices and experts (teachers) exchanging roles??

I guess I do not understand. You are looking at 70000 classes? What does that
mean? Older people? Younger people? Do your students have web access? Are
there software restrictions?

In short, say more, not less, and lets see what collective wisdom is around.
mike