Re(3): levels/rules/behavior

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 18:18:56 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Dianne,
>
>Last winter in a conference on play, there was an paper presented on dog
>play. The woman who oserved dogs in an urban park showed us a little bow
>that dogs do to each other to signal the play frame - as opposed to the
>"serious" behavior. If another dog does not see the bow - it may be
>dangerous to jump on her/him - for thay may take it as an attack.
>Bateso wrote about this framing singla which innitializes play - where
>the
>behaviors are not interpreted the same as if they were for real.
>So this is one of the "rules": you cannot play unless the other one knows
>you are just playing.
>
>Is it just an antropomorphism?
>

>Ana

hi ana - yes. it's anthropomorphism: assigning values to behaviors that
are outside
of human culture.
it's possibly impssible NOT to do so., i.e.,
can we value what is not within human culture without valuing it somehow
within human culture?
hm.

but ya, it's a leap. in the animal world, it ain't there. where is Ethel
Tobach whhen we need her??
:)
diane

"I want you to put the crayon back in my brain."
Homer Simpson

diane celia hodges
university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
vancouver, bc
mailing address: 46 broadview avenue, montreal, qc, H9R 3Z2