RE: [ch-sig] Re: other voices

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@UDel.Edu)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 23:32:48 PDT

Hi everybody--

Eva wrote,

> I wonder if it is too much to hope for the possibility that the American
> academic readership can learn to appreciate Others?

I see several challenges in this endeavor:
1) As Latour has convincingly showed, scientific discourse involve rather
serious competition for resources (i.e., publishing, grants, jobs,
recognition). I wonder if the tolerant Republic of national scientific
communities is possible within the context of this competition.

2) American academic has to democratizes not only internationally but also
nationally allowing diversity of academic discourses of different social
groups defining what is science about.

3) Other non-American national academies have to democratize within their
own practices inviting their own national non-mainstream social groups to
shape academic discourses and academic practices.

I do not know if it is possible but, it is worth to try -- actually, I
think, we -- all those, who are concerned -- do not have alternative but to
try.

What do you think?

Eugene