RE: horizontal/vertical//dialogue/dialectic

From: Peter Smagorinsky (psmagorinsky@home.com)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 13:06:17 PDT

At 01:54 PM 4/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm looking for Dialogic Theory of History which has to be fragmented,
>multi-voiced and collective (one person can't present it),
>non-comprehensive, situated, non-reductionist... I'm not sure that it can
>even be a theory or what media it can exist. Any ideas?

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but in:
         Wertsch, J. V. (1999). Revising Russian history. Written
Communication, 16, 267-295.
Wertsch looks at the way in which newer Russian history books are dialogic
with Soviet history books--actually the dialogism is "hidden" i.e. not
explicit--in that the historical revisions refute the Soviet
versions. I've drawn on this article several times when looking at the
ways in which writers acknowledge prior texts when producing new texts.
Peter