RE: horizontal/vertical//dialogue/dialectic

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 10:54:49 PDT

Hi Mike--

Thanks for your reply and elaboration on culture-history dialectics. It
reminds me Soussure's (spelling? French linguist) how introduced synchronic
(aka cultural, interactionist, dialogic, direct, multifacet, fragmented,
horizontal) and diachronic (aka historical, mediated, directional, vertical)
aspects of development of language. From this point of view, of course,
culture and dialectices "mutually constitute each other" and, thus, this
relationship between culture and history is dialectic.

Currently, I'm more interested how dialogue can "appropriate" history rather
than how dialectics can appropriate culture. Let me expalin why I'm more
interested in dialogue than in dialectics.

Historically (!), many mainstream theories of history are very monologic,
reductionist, and comphrehensive (I'd say totalitarist). Here is my
caricature of them (you have to choose only one on the list :-): everything
(in history) is nation building/struggle, everything is partiotism,
everything is class struggle, everything is racism, everything is struggle
between good and evil, everything is gender, everything is politics,
averything is sex, everything is economy, everything is gender, and so on.

In my view, dialectics is the smartest way to do Grand Comprehensive
Narrative about history but it does not escape to be monologic and
reductionist to one conciousness and one practice that this conciosness
concerns most at the time of conceptualizing. As Tony Whitson poitns out,
tomato is a fruit for biologist (within a dialectically contsructed
biological system) but a vegetable for a cook (within a culturally
negotiated practice). As Bakhtin characterized dialectics, it is a process
of errasing boundaries between dialogic conciousnesses, projecting it in one
systemic dimension, and squeezing it in one voice -- you can hear a
(fossilized) dialogue in struggle of dialectical contradictions. Again,
dialectics is propbably the smastest monologue that has been invented so far
and as monologue it should be respected and used... But it is still a
monologue.

I'm looking for Dialogic Theory of History which has to be fragmented,
multi-voiced and collective (one person can't present it),
non-comprehensive, situated, non-reductionist... I'm not sure that it can
even be a theory or what media it can exist. Any ideas?

What do you think?

Eugene