Re(3): different flavors of chat

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 07:46:02 PST

bill writes
>Diane,
>
>I like the idea of not trying to win an argument as one individual
>against another, but trying to develop arguments collectively -- The two
>senses of the word in that prior sentence being as 1) dispute, and 2) a
>subject matter development. I think for each of us this takes some
>suspension of what we hold to be true in order to hear each other. We've
>tried here several times in the past to move in this direction, and have
>failed. But there have also been successes -- although what those were
>seem to vary from one person to the next.

yes, absolutely - so what i'm suggesting is to begin with some sort of
frame for developing more of the differences we each bring to any reading.

>Perhaps this ideal develops a primary contradiction within many of us --
>the reasons we come to xmca. With our own institutional pressures to
>succeed fueling the fire, it is academic practice to push our own views,
>to get them 'out there'. And this militates strongly against hearing
>each other. It brings to mind the tragedy of the commons scenario
>described by Garret Hardin -- the personal desire to "get ahead" can be
>disruptive of shared conversational space.

ya!! it is precisely the 'contradictions' that we bring that reveal
cultural-historical activity - each of us benefits in that respect,
because we unravel
some of our own limitations at the same time as we consider the potential
of
conversational space.

>To echo Jennifer, must we contend with issues of power and privilege in
>the setting where we exchange emails?

absolutely - absolutely - i think this is the most significant limitation
of reading.

>The sense I am making of your post is that it envisions a way for us to
>conduct our discourses, and the upcoming LBE text could be a place to
>make some progress in this direction. Based upon what I have seen of
>academic mailing lists, I have a measured optimism for reaching the ideal
>immediately, but perhaps we can learn as we go along. I'd like to hear
>more of what you have in mind.

what i can do is post a preliminary framework of what i am trying to
describe,
one that is adaptive, really, not a structure for reading for a
perspective for recognizing the text as activity, and the LBE text would
be a fine site for developing a discussion
that is more exploratory, conversational, and so on.

thanks bill!!!
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu