Re(3): different flavors of chat

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 07:40:33 PST

Jennifer sez
>Hi Diane -
>

>Are you saying that cultural-historical theory should always be "read" or
>"interpreted" from a critical theoretical perspective? I like this idea
>given the work that's been done by neo-Marxist scholars.

yes, but with a provision towards what "critical theoretical" might imply:
the assumption that "critical" is a marxist term is perhaps a valuable
place to begin asking different questions about what "critical" means -
for me, it means an analysis that leans towards the history and cultural
location of the text, always wondering "who benefits" from the text: the
text itself is the activity of analysis, and the ways we all engage with
meanings reflects more of our theoretical assumptions, - these are the
sites of exploration, i think. does that make sense?

>If this is your point, it means that for us as cultural-historical folk,
>we
>must contend with issues of power and privilege in the setting where we
>work - to disregard these issues, would be to disregard a facet of
>cultural-historical theory.

ya baby!!! this is it precisely! exactement!

>Okay, this sounds a bit essentialistic - so let me say I'm not trying to
>claim a single interpretation for cultural-historical theory ... at least
>don't think so ...

not at all - it is the particular location of the diverse membership here
that needs articulation, and that is the struggle of any
cultural-historical understanding, because histories and cultures are
embedded in the process of reading, and believing, as much as in aligning
with a particular interpretation of a theory, and so on. it's not
essentialist - it's admission of diversity, letting go of the "owned"
perspective as a way to question it, elaborate possible readings.

>What do you think? Cheers - Jennifer

i think you are right on the mark in terms of what i was thinking about.
!!
thanks for that,
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu