Re: Public education

From: George McKinlay (mckinlay@unr.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 17:54:45 PST

On Monday, March 26, 2001, at 03:10 PM, MnFamilyMan@aol.com wrote:

> Paul,
>
> No accountibility for tenured teachers is a union problem,

Or a problem of the relationship between being employed in an alienating
system? What's your solution, stop unions? Ah pretend that teachers are
not employees by making calls to such middle-class notions as
"professionalism" or "children first"

> 10 month salaries
> is an administrative problem and splintered methodologies is a
> University
> issue.

Who said more (longer) work is better? This is little more than a cover
for the corporate world who want year round 12 month child minding
services subsidized by the state. Another step down the road to defining
what is human by "work", "employment" and all those other euphemisms for
something better called exploitation... School to Work!

>  Teachers work as hard as anyone in any profession but they are only
> as good as the support they get from the groups which are supposed to
> provide
> support.

Just cogs in the wheel huh? Perhaps the first words of this sentence
says it all "Teachers work"

> Unions refuse to budge on their systemic chant of 'we need more
> money'.

Really? Maybe true but doesn't it also suggest that the flipside might
also be just as causative—you've never give them enough! And they keep
ask them to do more for the crumbs they are given.

>  Administrators refuse to admit that some students need 12 month
> service.  Universities don't cooperate and teach a unified curriculum.

Really, why do they "need" 12 month's of schooling? Can't you just leave
the kids alone to grow up doing something other than living day in and
day out under an alienating work ethic . BTW Whose curriculum do you
propose? G. W. Bush's?

"I think School sucks!" Solution: "You need more of it boy!" or better
still "We need to send you out to be exploited...

> Therefore, a student teacher may not be successful because the methods
> they
> were taught for classroom management or curriculum developement won't be
> supported by the cooperating teacher that they are assigned to.

Ah so you think we need to create a rarefied classroom where we all
pretend to agree upon methods and the problems of an exploitative
society will miraculously evaporate...

>  There are
> numerous suggestions I have for improving public education, however,
> before I
> get to any of them the only one I see needing to be addressed is that
> social
> scientists decide what methodology they will adopt as to explain human
> behavior.
?
Do you think private education would be any different?

> Good day,
> Eric Ramberg

George McKinlay
Research & Educational Planning Center