job in Sweden

From: Victor Kaptelinin (vklinin@informatik.umu.se)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:00:38 PDT

            A POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH POSITION
                        availabe at

                  DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATICS
                       UMEÅ UNIVERSITY
                       UMEÅ, SWEDEN

The department of Informatics at Umea University has a post-doctoral
RESEARCH POSITION available. If you are a researcher in one of the
following areas, this position should be of interest to you:

             * (MANAGEMENT) INFORMATION SYSTEMS
             * COMPUTER-SUPPORTED COOPERATIVE WORK
             * HUMAN-COMPUTER INTERACTION
             * VIRTUAL REALITY AND VIRTUAL COMMUNITIES
             * INFORMATION SYSTEMS DESIGN

We are seeking a researcher in an area that ranges from the organizational
and societal context of information systems to formal aspects of and
tools for designing and implementing information systems in the broader
sense of the term. Special emphasis is placed on relating one's research
to the social sciences, particularly for using computers in the workplace.

Our department is in strong need of women researchers. We believe that a
more equal proportion of men and women among our researchers would benefit
our graduate and under-graduate students and our research groups.

To get a more extensive presentation of the research and the department
please visit our web site at

http://www.informatik.umu.se

We are looking for a researcher who has completed a doctorate (no more
than five years ago). This researcher would want to work in our depart-
ment, pursuing own research interests and advising graduate students.
This position implies a large degree of freedom with minimal administrative
and teaching duties.

A candidate is required to have mastery of the English language to be
considered for the position, as all of our staff and students are skilled in
this language. Knowledge of Swedish, however, is not necessary.

Appointment to the position is formally made for an initial period of two
years; this period is normally extended for an additional two years. After
this time, a post-doc researcher is expected to have qualified through
research, in order to apply for a permanent teaching or research position
in the Swedish academic system (including tenured chairs).

The university's salary policy involves negotiation on an individual basis.
The position also includes extensive social benefits (e.g. health insurance
and education).

The department has approximately 45 faculty, 20 graduate students and 350
undergraduate students. The atmosphere is collegial, encouraging individual
responsibility and group participation at all levels.

Department faculty members have strong and ongoing collaboration with
research groups in Sweden and the rest of the world.

Opportunities are good for interdisciplinary collaboration with other
departments and faculties at Umea University. The university is one of
the larger in Sweden, with more than 3,800 faculty and staff, and 25,000
students. Research and education activities here are developing at a rapid
pace, and the university offers a broad range of technical and scientific
resources.

The city of Umea has a little more than 100,000 inhabitants, and it is the
administrative and cultural center of northern Sweden. Its economic and
social center is the university. Umea offers many cultural and recreational
possi-
bilities. Cultural offerings include a symphony orchestra, international
jazz and film festivals, rock music, theatres, many art galleries, as well
as
fifteen first- and second-run film screens. Umea's climate and landscape
are northern but relatively mild. Recreation is available year round with
focus on outdoor activities, such as hiking, fishing, skiing, climbing, and
skating. Good communications link Umea with the rest of the world.
Stockholm is only an hour by air.

We encourage all interested applicants to submit the following information:

* letter of application
* curriculum vitae showing scientific, educational, and other professional
  activities
* legible copies of scientific work to be reviewed
* a brief description of the research you intend to undertake at our
  department

Please mail your application to arrive no later than 3rd of November 2000.
Include in your application an electronic mail address and fax number (if
possible) with country and area codes. Also, your application should refer
to position number 3122-1646-00. If you need more specific information
about application, please contact us (see below).

The evaluation procedure for job candidates is formalized by Swedish law.
The procedure includes an evaluation committee and judgements by an
external
expert. Accordingly, evaluation may take as long as two months. We cannot
accept applications by electronic mail for administrative reasons, or by
fax
for reasons of legibility.

If you have questions, please contact

Kenneth Nilsson