Re(2): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 07:47:36 PDT

jan writes
>Helen, I agree with you that that Ilyenkov’s piece is inspiring in the
>way
>that it makes us think about the problem of consciousness quite
>differently.
>I think some of this he draws from Spinoza and like Vygotsky, conceives
>of
>will in a quite different way to that of Descartes. I agree with you that
>as
>a teacher, to be engaged in the development of intellect is a quite
>different activity than to be testing ‘capacities’ and transmitting
>information.

questions: what is the relation seen here between "intellect" and
"consciousness"?

what is the difference between "idea" - "ideal" and David Hume's concepts
of "impressions"?

are we to accept here that consciousness is (a) effectively human and so
(b) essentially social and cultural and historical?

In relating language to consciousness, here, are we referring to words,
communications, or semiotics and abstract symbolic relations such as
rhythm, sound pattern, and so on?

thanks
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu