Re(2): Ideal - Ilyenkov

From: Diane Hodges (dhodges@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 06:49:51 PDT

Helena writes, in response to my MISplaced queer
>Do animals have consciousness? I don't know!!! Well....if
>"consciousness is
>co-extensive with language..." then at least I can see there's a
>conceptual
>problem here. Maybe we mean human consciousness. But even though I've
>read
>about animal language a bit myself -- bees, parrots, dolphins -- and I'd
>have
>to say, this is a topic I can't handle.

...and i wanted to write, first, THANK YOU for your honesty - what a
breath of fresh air. really. it is a complex area, consciousness, and i
appreciate your clarifying the venue you are interested in, re this
month's reading.

second, i want to say that i haven't really the right nor place to dis or
dismiss the interests of those who enjoy discussing this months reading, i
was rude, i think, not meaning to be especially, but i'd been thinking
this month's reading was by Leonte'ev,
and so of course i was surprised by the direction of the discussion.
if i've got nothing nice to say, better to say nothing at all.
mistakes and misplacements, all abounding, tsk tsk.
diane

                                        :point where everything listens.
and i slow down, learning how to
enter - implicate and unspoken (still) heart-of-the-world.

(Daphne Marlatt, "Coming to you")

diane celia hodges

 university of british columbia, centre for the study of curriculum and
instruction
 university of colorado, denver, school of education

Diane_Hodges@ceo.cudenver.edu