RE: don't debiologize it

From: Bill Barowy (wbarowy@lesley.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2000 - 11:34:06 PDT

>And.............that would be?

Models, understood as provisional and incomplete re-presentations.

The hyphenation emphasizing the dynamic processes of sense-making by the researcher(s), leading both to new IntrA and ExtrA formations, called 'models' and the processes leading to them called 'modeling'.

Semeco is indeed self-referential, and provides a handle for understanding the limitations of the researchers in conducting their work. One may not be able to attend to all of the significant function circle interactions in a microgenetic episode, never mind something more comprehensive as an institution, or a community, especially if one wishes to understand the interweaving of interactions between, what is in common language, individuals and institutions. Mike's solution is what I take to be his mesogenetic proposal, with 'levels' being an explanatory construct, a model, that categorizes activity along different degrees of collectivity, spanning people, things, and time:

>I see the solution only in teamwork, in the creations of teams of
>people who can, collectively, more or less "surround" the study
>of developmental dynamics at at lest three analytic levels. I
>take Jay to be making this argument (see upcoming MCA).
(Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:13:13 -0700 (PDT))

[Sidebar, Nate -- your "reply to:" field is not set to xmca. Mail sent in reply to you will not automatically go to xmca. See below.]

>From: "Nate Schmolze" <nate_schmolze@yahoo.com>
>To: <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>

Bill Barowy, Associate Professor
Lesley University (Effective September 5, 2000)
29 Everett Street, Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Phone: 617-349-8168 / Fax: 617-349-8169
http://www.lesley.edu/faculty/wbarowy/Barowy.html
"One of life's quiet excitements is to stand somewhat apart from yourself
 and watch yourself softly become the author of something beautiful."
[Norman Maclean in "A river runs through it."]