Re: lects

From: Randy Bomer (rbomer@indiana.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 15:15:45 PDT

>>"so wi can lyrn in lesyns and bihef wen tetys tel ys to lisyn" and " we
>>haftw bihef and lisyn o wi get a row ol the taim if we dont lisyn".

Philip,

I could read it, too, being used to reading kids' writing. But I don't
think it's identical to what I'd expect to see in the US.

All those y's marking schwa sounds would be very unusual, and I'd guess that
has something to do with different orthographic patterns she knows in Welsh.

Just phonetically, the f/v substitutions sound like a Welsh dialect.

That she's not hearing any "r" coloring in "teachers" could be a dialectal
marker, as could "ol" rather than "al" for "all," and the e for the long a
sound in "behave."

I'm interested too in that diphthong in "taim."

 So I took Martin's question as being about whether there's a possible line
to be drawn between the child's "Welsh" and "English." And then, beyond the
orthographic, one could perhaps make a case that this is "School" or
"Obedient, Disciplined and Punished."
Randy Bomer
Language Education
Indiana University