RE: lects

From: Eugene Matusov (ematusov@udel.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 16:06:03 PDT

Hi Martin and everybody--

Martin wrote,
> As I can read Welsh, I had no problem in reading this non-standard
> English. Her communication to me was competent but to others it could be a
> complete mystery. Where do I draw lines?

What lines? Why can't these "others" talk with the girl? By the way, I read
the girl's writing well without Martin's translation into Standard English.
In my classes, my grad and undergrad students write on the class interactive
Internet webtalks. The rule is that you can write in whatever way as soon as
others can understand you. However, others have also responsibility to ask
for clarifications or explanations. So, I guess my answer is that "lines"
can be drawn and re-drawn by the participants as they participate in
meaningful (for them) communication. In his case, competence is a
relationship among participants and a property of a person.

What do you think?

Eugene