Re: school/work (maths)

From: Julian Williams (jwilliams@fs1.ed.man.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 08:48:29 PST

Hello xmca, from another lurker

We too are researching the contradictions in school and
workplace knowledge: in our case mathematics. We do this by setting
up visits by College students to workplaces to observe/ meet and
discuss the workplace practices previously recognised (by us) as
'mathematical'.
We are looking for:

a) contradictions between the two activity systems
'mathematics', as expressed in obstacles to mutual understanding
between student and worker

b) mediating tools/discourse which bridge the gap.

We have come up with some ideas about how College mathematics has
evolved historically into forms which make is inflexible to
'transfer', and as you would expect aspects of workplaces which
protect workers from failing mathematically... mostly useful.

The problem which is worrying me is that we have set up a rare
situation (I would not say 'system' or 'CoP') where researcher,
student and worker share and discuss mathematics. We conceived of
this as a semiosic research method in which the student might 'live
out' the contradictions between systems by struggling to understand
the workplace with their College knowledge, so a kind of
problem-solving in which signs have to reconnect with new meanings
might be voiced.

How much can we justifiably deduce/conclude from this rare event
about transitions between College and work?

Any ideas?

Julian

Julian Williams
Centre for Mathematics Education
University of Manchester
Oxford Rd
Manchester, M13 9PL
-161-275-3409 (fax 3484)
You can visit my web page and see some recent papers on:
http://www.man.ac.uk/CME/williamsj.htm