school/work

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 02:10:32 PST

In elaborating the school/work thread (a centrally important one to this
list, even though the work side folks are less present), Randy commented
in part:

When students have an audience that is waiting to
hear what they come up with, the rhetorical situation and the
teacher/student transaction are more analogous to those that occur in
workplace settings, as Freedman describes them.

Randy-- We are working on a variety of ways to shift the rhetorical
situation in higher ed (and I heard an interesting presentation
yesterday of similar efforts-in-spirit at high school level) that
seek to make school reports "real." One way is to create activities
that require communication at a distance, so there is really something
to tell that is not previously known but is potentially locally valuable.
Not fool proof (what is?) but it can work.
mike